- win the Nobel Peace Prize
- get to Heaven
And so forth are overarching, HUGE goals. There are also Large or umbrella goals such as:
Participate more in my neighborhood.
This Large or Umbrella goal can have Sub-goals:
- Join in the neighborhood cleanup campaign
- Find out about community resources.
- Find ways to help keep my neighborhood SAFE.
- Pick up trash whenever I see it.
Each Sub-goal, then should have specific steps assigned to it.
Here's an example of a Generic, unachievable goal: Swallow the ocean
I've also heard other goals such as "Lose Weight", "Stop Procrastinating", which are just as unachievable as "Swallow the Ocean" unless they are made more specific.
Here's a more specific, achievable goal:
Swallow a bucket of seawater by the end of July, 2005 (specific deadline)
- buy a bucket (baby steps)
- borrow or buy a spoon. (sub-goal)
- I'll have to swallow XX spoonfulls a day for the remaining XX weeks to meet the goal. (calculation)
- Track my progress every Sunday afternoon. (review progress)