Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Formula for Joy

This is the formula for Joy that I came up with in the early stages of what turned out to be my longest manic episode. I was "up" for 4 and 1/2 months. It was very difficult on those who loved me. But of course I didn't think there was anything wrong with me. In fact, I thought that I had reached a new plane of human existence.
So one day in the shower, I came up with my version of  the formula for JOY.  I figured if  the relationship of matter and energy could be expressed as simply and elegantly as E-MC2, then there should be a way to make JOY a part of every day.  Here it is:
  1. self-knowledge (knowing) and
  2. Centering on the Eternal (being) and
  3. Doing what you love to do (doing)
Divided by Zero (nothing should divide us - acceptance)

What was funny to me about the formula is that in math, you can never divide by nothing or Zero.  But in my formula it simply means that whether it is acceptance of self, life,pain, differences, those are all things that keep us from happiness. 

The other notes on the image include:
  • Life is not linear
  • My two BIG goals were flexibility and strength
  • And "Life's a Party!!!





No comments: